Saturday, August 9, 2008

Russell

Since some time I am reading Bertrand Russell's classic work on history of philosophy "History of Western Philosophy". It is so classic that it is a shame to say I stumbled upon it only so old as I am, when I should read it some 25 years ago. Well, I obviously had more important things to do, and to read about Western philosophy, I had to submerge in this Confucianistic island of Formosa.

When it is like this, I notice that after living in Greece, and visiting it recently, I appreciate Russell's illumination on Greek philosophy. I am speaking as a delighted reader of Homer, rather than as a 21st century tourist, sure.

What kicks in Russell's writing is witty comments from time to time, so nice is how he makes the matter alive with this, not dusty-philosophy of the forgotten library shelves.

I reccomend this review, indeed. Take your time with it, it is not something to be swallowed...but rather licked with pleasure when time permits, and mind is at its leisure mode.

No comments: